Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 53 'Lybster' on the opening day of the Wick & Lybster Light Railway, July 1903
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1055
PLACENAME
Lybster
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
DATE OF IMAGE
1 July 1903
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27742
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
trains
HR 53 'Lybster' on the opening day of the Wick & Lybster Light Railway, July 1903

This photograph shows HR 53 'Lybster' on the opening day of the Wick & Lybster Light Railway on 1 July 1903.

In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929.

Lybster Station was opened as part of the Wick and Lybster Railway on 1 July 1903. The last trains ran in April 1944 before the line, and all the stations on it, were officially closed in 1951. At the time of writing (2011) the station building serves as the clubhouse for Lybster Golf Club.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 53 'Lybster' on the opening day of the Wick & Lybster Light Railway, July 1903

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1900s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 53 'Lybster' on the opening day of the Wick & Lybster Light Railway on 1 July 1903.<br /> <br /> In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929.<br /> <br /> Lybster Station was opened as part of the Wick and Lybster Railway on 1 July 1903. The last trains ran in April 1944 before the line, and all the stations on it, were officially closed in 1951. At the time of writing (2011) the station building serves as the clubhouse for Lybster Golf Club.