Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 15051 arriving at Lybster, September 1935
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1063
PLACENAME
Lybster
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
DATE OF IMAGE
26 September 1935
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27747
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
trains
LMS 15051 arriving at Lybster, September 1935

This photograph shows LMS 15051 arriving at Lybster in September 1935.

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. LMS 15051 (previously HR 25 'Strathpeffer') continued in service well into British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.

Lybster Station was opened as part of the Wick and Lybster Railway on 1 July 1903. The last trains ran in April 1944 before the line, and all the stations on it, were officially closed in 1951. At the time of writing (2011) the station building serves as the clubhouse for Lybster Golf Club.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 15051 arriving at Lybster, September 1935

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1930s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 15051 arriving at Lybster in September 1935.<br /> <br /> In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. LMS 15051 (previously HR 25 'Strathpeffer') continued in service well into British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.<br /> <br /> Lybster Station was opened as part of the Wick and Lybster Railway on 1 July 1903. The last trains ran in April 1944 before the line, and all the stations on it, were officially closed in 1951. At the time of writing (2011) the station building serves as the clubhouse for Lybster Golf Club.