Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 45477 entering Muir of Ord on an up train, July 1950
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1075
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
1 July 1950
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27758
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
trains
BR 45477 entering Muir of Ord on an up train, July 1950

This photograph shows a Class 5, 45477, entering Muir of Ord on an up train in July 1950.

The LMS Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951. 45477 was built at Derby in 1943.
It was withdrawn in August 1966 and scrapped the following year.

On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 45477 entering Muir of Ord on an up train, July 1950

ROSS: Urray

1950s

railway stations; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a Class 5, 45477, entering Muir of Ord on an up train in July 1950. <br /> <br /> The LMS Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951. 45477 was built at Derby in 1943. <br /> It was withdrawn in August 1966 and scrapped the following year.<br /> <br /> On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.