Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking north from the road overbridge at Muir of Ord, July 1950
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1076
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
1 July 1950
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27759
KEYWORDS
railway stations
trains
Looking north from the road overbridge at Muir of Ord, July 1950

A view of Muir of Ord station looking north from the road overbridge in July 1950. The locomotive on the right is pulling a train on the Black Isle branch line to Fortrose. This line opened in February 1894. Passenger services ceased on 1 October 1951 but the line remained open until 13 June 1960.

On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking north from the road overbridge at Muir of Ord, July 1950

ROSS: Urray

1950s

railway stations; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of Muir of Ord station looking north from the road overbridge in July 1950. The locomotive on the right is pulling a train on the Black Isle branch line to Fortrose. This line opened in February 1894. Passenger services ceased on 1 October 1951 but the line remained open until 13 June 1960.<br /> <br /> On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.