Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 21 entering Muir of Ord on a passenger train, 1913
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1078
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
1913
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27761
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
trains
HR 21 entering Muir of Ord on a passenger train, 1913

This photograph shows HR 21 entering Muir of Ord on a passenger train in 1913.

The locomotive was one of Highland Railway's 12-strong 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive. They were designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty, as seen here. HR 21 was built by Dübs & Co of Glasgow and was delivered in August 1902.

On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 21 entering Muir of Ord on a passenger train, 1913

ROSS: Urray

1910s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 21 entering Muir of Ord on a passenger train in 1913. <br /> <br /> The locomotive was one of Highland Railway's 12-strong 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive. They were designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty, as seen here. HR 21 was built by Dübs & Co of Glasgow and was delivered in August 1902.<br /> <br /> On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.