Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The south end of Muir of Ord station with temporary maintenance depot, July 1989
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1085
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1989
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27768
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
The south end of Muir of Ord station with temporary maintenance depot, July 1989

A view of the south end of Muir of Ord station with the temporary maintenance depot, taken in July 1989.

The railway bridge linking Inverness and the north was washed away by floods in February 1989, essentially cutting the network in two. Muir of Ord was chosen as the site of the temporary depot for the Far North and Kyle lines until a new bridge across the River Ness could be completed.

On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The south end of Muir of Ord station with temporary maintenance depot, July 1989

ROSS: Urray

1980s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of the south end of Muir of Ord station with the temporary maintenance depot, taken in July 1989.<br /> <br /> The railway bridge linking Inverness and the north was washed away by floods in February 1989, essentially cutting the network in two. Muir of Ord was chosen as the site of the temporary depot for the Far North and Kyle lines until a new bridge across the River Ness could be completed.<br /> <br /> On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.