Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 45173 and 54439 at Muir of Ord, September 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1086
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
19 September 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27769
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
trains
BR 45173 and 54439 at Muir of Ord, September 1949

This photograph shows two British Railways locomotives at Muir of Ord in September 1949. On the left is the Class 5, 45173, on train to Kyle. On the right is 54439, a former Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 locomotive, on the Black Isle branch line.

The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951. 45173 was built in 1935 and withdrawn in 1964. 54439 was built in 1908 and withdrawn in 1958.

On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 45173 and 54439 at Muir of Ord, September 1949

ROSS: Urray

1940s

railway stations; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows two British Railways locomotives at Muir of Ord in September 1949. On the left is the Class 5, 45173, on train to Kyle. On the right is 54439, a former Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 locomotive, on the Black Isle branch line.<br /> <br /> The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951. 45173 was built in 1935 and withdrawn in 1964. 54439 was built in 1908 and withdrawn in 1958.<br /> <br /> On 11 June 1862 the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway opened their line between Inverness and Dingwall. It included a station at the village of Tarradale but the company decided to name it after the nearby cattle tryst (market), Muir of Ord. Eventually the name Muir of Ord was applied to the surrounding area.