Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 3 'Ben Wyvis' and a 'Big Goods' outside Perth shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1171
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27826
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
HR 3 'Ben Wyvis' and a 'Big Goods' outside Perth shed

This photograph shows HR 3 'Ben Wyvis' and a 'Big Goods' outside Perth shed in Highland Railway days.

'Ben Wyvis' was one of the Highland's 20-strong class of locomotive known collectively as the "Small Bens". It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow in July 1898. It was numbered 14399 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1952.

The 'Big Goods' class was introduced in 1894 and were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement. They were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 3 'Ben Wyvis' and a 'Big Goods' outside Perth shed

PERTH

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 3 'Ben Wyvis' and a 'Big Goods' outside Perth shed in Highland Railway days.<br /> <br /> 'Ben Wyvis' was one of the Highland's 20-strong class of locomotive known collectively as the "Small Bens". It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow in July 1898. It was numbered 14399 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1952. <br /> <br /> The 'Big Goods' class was introduced in 1894 and were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement. They were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.