Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Isla Bank' and HR 27, 119, 117, 146 and 126 outside Perth shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1178
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27832
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
'Isla Bank' and HR 27, 119, 117, 146 and 126 outside Perth shed

This photograph shows, from left to right, 'Isla Bank', HR 27, 119, 117, 146 and 126 outside Perth shed.

'Isla Bank' was built for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway in 1863. It was a member of the Glenbarry class of 2-2-2 locomotives. Originally named 'Kingsmills', it was rebuilt as a 2-4-0 in July 1892 and renamed 'Isla Bank' in 1889. It had the longest life of the all the Glenbarry class locomotives, surviving until just after the grouping before being withdrawn in August 1923. It had been renumbered HR 35A in 1911.

27 was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Sharp Stewart in August 1863, part of the ten-strong '18' class of 2-4-0 locomotives. The HR had it rebuilt with new cylinders and other fittings in February 1891. It was renumbered several times - to 27A in 1913, 27B in 1916 and back to 27A in April 1918. It did pass to the LMS after the grouping but was never numbered.

119, 'Loch Insh', was one of the 15-strong 'Loch Class' of 4-4-0 locomotives. It was built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896. Numbered 14379 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1948.

117 was one of the 'Big Goods' Class of 4-6-0 locomotives built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow in 1894. It was numbered 17930 by the LMS and withdrawn from service in November 1939.

146, 'Skibo Castle', was one of the 'Castle' Class of express passenger locomotives. It was built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1902. Numbered 14681 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1946.

126, 'Loch Tummel' was also a member of the 'Loch' class. Numbered 14386 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1938.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Isla Bank' and HR 27, 119, 117, 146 and 126 outside Perth shed

PERTH

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows, from left to right, 'Isla Bank', HR 27, 119, 117, 146 and 126 outside Perth shed.<br /> <br /> 'Isla Bank' was built for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway in 1863. It was a member of the Glenbarry class of 2-2-2 locomotives. Originally named 'Kingsmills', it was rebuilt as a 2-4-0 in July 1892 and renamed 'Isla Bank' in 1889. It had the longest life of the all the Glenbarry class locomotives, surviving until just after the grouping before being withdrawn in August 1923. It had been renumbered HR 35A in 1911.<br /> <br /> 27 was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Sharp Stewart in August 1863, part of the ten-strong '18' class of 2-4-0 locomotives. The HR had it rebuilt with new cylinders and other fittings in February 1891. It was renumbered several times - to 27A in 1913, 27B in 1916 and back to 27A in April 1918. It did pass to the LMS after the grouping but was never numbered.<br /> <br /> 119, 'Loch Insh', was one of the 15-strong 'Loch Class' of 4-4-0 locomotives. It was built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896. Numbered 14379 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1948.<br /> <br /> 117 was one of the 'Big Goods' Class of 4-6-0 locomotives built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow in 1894. It was numbered 17930 by the LMS and withdrawn from service in November 1939.<br /> <br /> 146, 'Skibo Castle', was one of the 'Castle' Class of express passenger locomotives. It was built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1902. Numbered 14681 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1946.<br /> <br /> 126, 'Loch Tummel' was also a member of the 'Loch' class. Numbered 14386 by the LMS, it continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1938.