Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Castle class and LMS 2805 at Perth loco shed, 1920s
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1179
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
DATE OF IMAGE
1923; 1924
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27833
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
A Castle class and LMS 2805 at Perth loco shed, 1920s

This photograph shows a 'Castle' class and LMS 2805 at Perth loco shed.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dubs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dubs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

LMS 2805 was built for the Midland Railway in the early 1870s and numbered 990. It just survived into LMS ownership, being withdrawn in February 1924.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Castle class and LMS 2805 at Perth loco shed, 1920s

PERTH

1920s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a 'Castle' class and LMS 2805 at Perth loco shed. <br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dubs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dubs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> LMS 2805 was built for the Midland Railway in the early 1870s and numbered 990. It just survived into LMS ownership, being withdrawn in February 1924.