Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loco shed at Portessie, June 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1206
PLACENAME
Portessie
DATE OF IMAGE
June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27856
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Loco shed at Portessie, June 1936

This photograph, taken in June 1936, shows the loco shed at Portessie.

Portessie station was opened on 1 August 1884 as the terminus of the Highland Railway's branch line from Keith to Buckie. The station had three platforms - two operated by the Great North of Scotland Railway's Moray Coast Railway and one for the Highland Railway line to Keith. The Highland also had an engine shed there.

Passenger services were withdrawn as a wartime economy measure on 9 August 1915, but some freight traffic continued until 1917 when the track was lifted as it was needed for the war effort. Track was re-laid and freight services resumed on 2 June 1919, worked by the Great North of Scotland Railway. Freight services continued until 1 April 1944.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loco shed at Portessie, June 1936

1930s

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph, taken in June 1936, shows the loco shed at Portessie.<br /> <br /> Portessie station was opened on 1 August 1884 as the terminus of the Highland Railway's branch line from Keith to Buckie. The station had three platforms - two operated by the Great North of Scotland Railway's Moray Coast Railway and one for the Highland Railway line to Keith. The Highland also had an engine shed there.<br /> <br /> Passenger services were withdrawn as a wartime economy measure on 9 August 1915, but some freight traffic continued until 1917 when the track was lifted as it was needed for the war effort. Track was re-laid and freight services resumed on 2 June 1919, worked by the Great North of Scotland Railway. Freight services continued until 1 April 1944.