Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
46463 passing the signal box and summit board at Slochd, June 1956
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1240
PLACENAME
Slochd
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
21 June 1956
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27887
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
46463 passing the signal box and summit board at Slochd, June 1956

This photograph shows 46463 passing the signal box and summit board at Slochd in June 1956.

The locomotive was an LMS Class 2F-B 2-6-0. 128 of these were built between 1946 and 1953.

At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot.

Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

46463 passing the signal box and summit board at Slochd, June 1956

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1950s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 46463 passing the signal box and summit board at Slochd in June 1956.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was an LMS Class 2F-B 2-6-0. 128 of these were built between 1946 and 1953.<br /> <br /> At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot. <br /> <br /> Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.