Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
45496 by the signal box at Slochd
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1242
PLACENAME
Slochd
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27889
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
signal boxes
45496 by the signal box at Slochd

This photograph shows a Class 5, 45496, by the signal box at Slochd.

The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.

At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot.

Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

45496 by the signal box at Slochd

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; signal boxes

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a Class 5, 45496, by the signal box at Slochd.<br /> <br /> The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951. <br /> <br /> At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot. <br /> <br /> Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.