Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Superheated Goods shunting by the east signal box at Strathcarron
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1251
PLACENAME
Strathcarron
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27896
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
trains
A Superheated Goods shunting by the east signal box at Strathcarron

This photograph shows a Superheated Goods shunting by the east signal box at Strathcarron.

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.

Strathcarron station was opened by the Highland Railway on 19 August 1870 as a stop on its line between Inverness and Strome Ferry. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Superheated Goods shunting by the east signal box at Strathcarron

ROSS: Lochcarron

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a Superheated Goods shunting by the east signal box at Strathcarron.<br /> <br /> In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.<br /> <br /> Strathcarron station was opened by the Highland Railway on 19 August 1870 as a stop on its line between Inverness and Strome Ferry. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in August 1983.