Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 25 arriving at Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1262
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27906
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
HR 25 arriving at Strathpeffer

This photograph shows HR 25 arriving at Strathpeffer.

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness.

HR 25 'Strathpeffer' was the third of the company's locomotives to bear that name. Numbered 15051 by the LMS and continued in service well into British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.

In 1885 the Highland Railway opened a branch line connecting its route between Inverness and Strome Ferry with the spa town of Strathpeffer, a popular resort in the Victorian era. The line closed to passenger services in February 1946 and to goods traffic in August 1951.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 25 arriving at Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

railway stations; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 25 arriving at Strathpeffer.<br /> <br /> In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness.<br /> <br /> HR 25 'Strathpeffer' was the third of the company's locomotives to bear that name. Numbered 15051 by the LMS and continued in service well into British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.<br /> <br /> In 1885 the Highland Railway opened a branch line connecting its route between Inverness and Strome Ferry with the spa town of Strathpeffer, a popular resort in the Victorian era. The line closed to passenger services in February 1946 and to goods traffic in August 1951.