Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Strome Ferry Station from the rear of an up train, 1963
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1288
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1963
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27919
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Stromeferry
Strome Ferry Station from the rear of an up train, 1963

A view of Strome Ferry Station from the rear of an up train, taken in 1963.

Strome Ferry was the original terminus of the Dingwall and Skye Railway which opened in 1870. The line was worked by the Highland Railway which officially absorbed it in August 1880. Ferry services were run from here to a variety of mainland and island destinations. To begin with the ferries were run by the Dingwall and Skye Railway, then the Highland Railway and finally David MacBrayne.

The line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in November 1897. In the early 1960s the spelling was changed to Stromeferry. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in June 1964. A siding was built for the fabrication yard for oil platforms at Loch Kishorn which opened in 1975. The siding closed in the mid-1980s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strome Ferry Station from the rear of an up train, 1963

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

railway stations; Stromeferry

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of Strome Ferry Station from the rear of an up train, taken in 1963.<br /> <br /> Strome Ferry was the original terminus of the Dingwall and Skye Railway which opened in 1870. The line was worked by the Highland Railway which officially absorbed it in August 1880. Ferry services were run from here to a variety of mainland and island destinations. To begin with the ferries were run by the Dingwall and Skye Railway, then the Highland Railway and finally David MacBrayne.<br /> <br /> The line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in November 1897. In the early 1960s the spelling was changed to Stromeferry. It is still served by regular passenger services although it was closed to goods traffic in June 1964. A siding was built for the fabrication yard for oil platforms at Loch Kishorn which opened in 1975. The siding closed in the mid-1980s.