Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14403, 4764 and 17384 outside Tain loco shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1308
PLACENAME
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27933
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14403, 4764 and 17384 outside Tain loco shed

This photograph shows LMS 14403, 4764 and 17384 outside Tain loco shed.

LMS 14403, 'Ben Attow', (formerly HR 7) was part of the first class of locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond (they were 4-4-0 passenger locomotives now known collectively as the 'Small Bens'). It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow in 1899. It was withdrawn from service in February 1949.

4764 was a Class 5, built at Crewe in 1947 and withdrawn in 1965. The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier and are commonly known as 'Black Fives'.

17384 began life as a Caledonian Railway Standard Goods class 0-6-0 locomotive and was numbered 204. It was built in Glasgow in 1894 and worked until 1963.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14403, 4764 and 17384 outside Tain loco shed

ROSS: Tain

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 14403, 4764 and 17384 outside Tain loco shed.<br /> <br /> LMS 14403, 'Ben Attow', (formerly HR 7) was part of the first class of locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond (they were 4-4-0 passenger locomotives now known collectively as the 'Small Bens'). It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow in 1899. It was withdrawn from service in February 1949.<br /> <br /> 4764 was a Class 5, built at Crewe in 1947 and withdrawn in 1965. The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier and are commonly known as 'Black Fives'.<br /> <br /> 17384 began life as a Caledonian Railway Standard Goods class 0-6-0 locomotive and was numbered 204. It was built in Glasgow in 1894 and worked until 1963.