Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
An HR 0-4-4 in the branch platform at The Mound, July 1950
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1329
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
3 July 1950
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27953
KEYWORDS
railway stations
An HR 0-4-4 in the branch platform at The Mound, July 1950

This photograph shows an HR 0-4-4 in the branch platform at The Mound. It was taken in July 1950.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

An HR 0-4-4 in the branch platform at The Mound, July 1950

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows an HR 0-4-4 in the branch platform at The Mound. It was taken in July 1950.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.