Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
55051 on train in the branch platform at The Mound
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1331
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27956
KEYWORDS
railway stations
55051 on train in the branch platform at The Mound

This photograph shows 55051 on train in the branch platform at The Mound.

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness.

55051 was one of these locomotives, beginning life with the Highland as HR 25. It was eventually withdrawn in August 1956.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

55051 on train in the branch platform at The Mound

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 55051 on train in the branch platform at The Mound.<br /> <br /> In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. <br /> <br /> 55051 was one of these locomotives, beginning life with the Highland as HR 25. It was eventually withdrawn in August 1956.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.