Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A northbound train, double-headed by Class 5s, passing the signal box at The Mound
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1332
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27957
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
A northbound train, double-headed by Class 5s, passing the signal box at The Mound

This photograph shows a northbound train, double-headed by Class 5s, passing the signal box at The Mound.

The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A northbound train, double-headed by Class 5s, passing the signal box at The Mound

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a northbound train, double-headed by Class 5s, passing the signal box at The Mound.<br /> <br /> The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.