Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 103 on a southbound special at The Mound, June 1962
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1336
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
15 June 1962
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27960
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
HR 103 on a southbound special at The Mound, June 1962

This photograph shows HR 103 on a southbound special at The Mound in June 1962.

103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 103 on a southbound special at The Mound, June 1962

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1960s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 103 on a southbound special at The Mound in June 1962. <br /> <br /> 103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.