Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
55053 on train from Dornoch at The Mound, June 1956
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1338
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
20 June 1956
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27962
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
55053 on train from Dornoch at The Mound, June 1956

This photograph shows 55053 on train from Dornoch at The Mound in June 1956.

55053 was an ex-Highland Railway 'Passenger Tank Class' 0-4-4 locomotive which was built in 1905. It was originally numbered HR 45 and was eventually withdrawn in 1957.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

55053 on train from Dornoch at The Mound, June 1956

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

railway stations; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 55053 on train from Dornoch at The Mound in June 1956.<br /> <br /> 55053 was an ex-Highland Railway 'Passenger Tank Class' 0-4-4 locomotive which was built in 1905. It was originally numbered HR 45 and was eventually withdrawn in 1957.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.