Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Mound from the road overbridge, c1930
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1339
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1930
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27963
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
The Mound from the road overbridge, c1930

A view of The Mound from the road overbridge, c1930.

The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Mound from the road overbridge, c1930

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1920s; 1930s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of The Mound from the road overbridge, c1930.<br /> <br /> The Mound was one of the stations on the Sutherland Railway when it opened its line between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. The line was worked by the Highland Railway and was absorbed by it in 1884. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford. The Mound was also a terminus of the Dornoch Light Railway which opened to Dornoch in July 1902. It closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in January 1964. The signal box has been demolished.