Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
54495 and 44783 on train at The Mound, September 1954
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1344
PLACENAME
The Mound
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
DATE OF IMAGE
14 September 1954
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27967
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
54495 and 44783 on train at The Mound, September 1954

This photograph shows 54495 and 44783 on train at The Mound, September 1954. It is bound for Wick.

54495 was an ex-Caledonian Railway '72' Class 4-4-0 locomotive. It was built in 1921 and numbered CR 90. After the grouping it became 14495 and continued in British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in 1962.

44783 was an LMS Class 5, built in 1947 and withdrawn in 1964. The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

54495 and 44783 on train at The Mound, September 1954

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1950s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 54495 and 44783 on train at The Mound, September 1954. It is bound for Wick.<br /> <br /> 54495 was an ex-Caledonian Railway '72' Class 4-4-0 locomotive. It was built in 1921 and numbered CR 90. After the grouping it became 14495 and continued in British Rail days, eventually being withdrawn in 1962.<br /> <br /> 44783 was an LMS Class 5, built in 1947 and withdrawn in 1964. The Class 5 locomotives were designed for the LMS by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.