Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14405 on the turntable at Thurso, May 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1371
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
DATE OF IMAGE
19 May 1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27988
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
LMS 14405 on the turntable at Thurso, May 1928

This photograph shows LMS 14405 on the turntable at Thurso in May 1928.

The locomotive was one of the class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives known collectively as the Small Bens. It was built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness in July 1899. It was numbered 14405 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1944.

Thurso station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Thurso Branch of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services and is the most northerly station in Britain.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14405 on the turntable at Thurso, May 1928

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1920s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 14405 on the turntable at Thurso in May 1928.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was one of the class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives known collectively as the Small Bens. It was built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness in July 1899. It was numbered 14405 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1944.<br /> <br /> Thurso station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Thurso Branch of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services and is the most northerly station in Britain.