Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Caithness', Thurso Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1382
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27999
KEYWORDS
railway stations
'Caithness', Thurso Station

This photograph shows the large illustration of the Highland Railway locomotive, HR 51 'Caithness', at Thurso station.

The locomotive was one of 18 Glenbarry class locomotives built for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway in 1863-64. These were 2-2-2s intended primarily for passenger traffic.

Thurso station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Thurso Branch of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services and is the most northerly station in Britain.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Caithness', Thurso Station

CAITHNESS: Thurso

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the large illustration of the Highland Railway locomotive, HR 51 'Caithness', at Thurso station.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was one of 18 Glenbarry class locomotives built for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway in 1863-64. These were 2-2-2s intended primarily for passenger traffic.<br /> <br /> Thurso station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Thurso Branch of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services and is the most northerly station in Britain.