Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 103 on an up special at Tomatin, June 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1409
PLACENAME
Tomatin
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie
DATE OF IMAGE
15 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28020
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
HR 103 on an up special at Tomatin, June 1960

This photograph, taken in June 1960, shows HR 103 on an up special at Tomatin.



103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.



Tomatin station was opened by the Highland Railway in July 1897 as part of the new direct route between Aviemore and Inverness. This was built to counter plans the North British Railway and Great North of Scotland Railway had to extend their lines to Inverness. Tomatin, along with all the other stations on this stretch of line, with the exception of Carrbridge, closed on 3 May 1965.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 103 on an up special at Tomatin, June 1960

INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie

1960s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph, taken in June 1960, shows HR 103 on an up special at Tomatin.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> 103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Tomatin station was opened by the Highland Railway in July 1897 as part of the new direct route between Aviemore and Inverness. This was built to counter plans the North British Railway and Great North of Scotland Railway had to extend their lines to Inverness. Tomatin, along with all the other stations on this stretch of line, with the exception of Carrbridge, closed on 3 May 1965.