Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 7 at Watten
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1414
PLACENAME
Watten
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Watten
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28023
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
HR 7 at Watten

This photograph shows HR 7 at Watten.

This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in August 1858. Part of the Alexander Alan-designed 'Seafield' class it was originally named 'Fife' and had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement.

It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in May 1875 as a 4-4-0 with larger cylinders and a new name, 'Dingwall'. It was withdrawn from service and sold in 1893.

Watten station was opened by the Sutherland and Caithness Railway in July 1874. It had two platforms, a passing loop and two signal boxes, both of which have been demolished. Watten was closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in May 1964.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 7 at Watten

CAITHNESS: Watten

railway stations; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 7 at Watten.<br /> <br /> This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in August 1858. Part of the Alexander Alan-designed 'Seafield' class it was originally named 'Fife' and had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement.<br /> <br /> It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in May 1875 as a 4-4-0 with larger cylinders and a new name, 'Dingwall'. It was withdrawn from service and sold in 1893.<br /> <br /> Watten station was opened by the Sutherland and Caithness Railway in July 1874. It had two platforms, a passing loop and two signal boxes, both of which have been demolished. Watten was closed to passenger services in June 1960 and to goods traffic in May 1964.