Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Castle class on train ready to leave Wick
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1428
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28037
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
A Castle class on train ready to leave Wick

This photograph shows an unidentified Highland Railway Castle class locomotive on train preparing to leave Wick.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

Wick station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Castle class on train ready to leave Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows an unidentified Highland Railway Castle class locomotive on train preparing to leave Wick.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> Wick station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services.