Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17923 and 14689 at Wick loco shed, June 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_1444
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
DATE OF IMAGE
11 June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28052
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
LMS 17923 and 14689 at Wick loco shed, June 1936

This photograph shows LMS 17923 and 14689 outside Wick engine shed in June 1936.

17923 was an ex-Highland Railway 'Big Goods Class' 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow in 1894 and originally numbered HR 110. It passed into LMS ownership and was withdrawn from service in November 1935.

14689 was an ex-HR 'Castle Class' 4-6-0 locomotive (formerly HR 28). Built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913 it continued in service until September 1944.

Wick station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17923 and 14689 at Wick loco shed, June 1936

CAITHNESS: Wick

1930s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 17923 and 14689 outside Wick engine shed in June 1936.<br /> <br /> 17923 was an ex-Highland Railway 'Big Goods Class' 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow in 1894 and originally numbered HR 110. It passed into LMS ownership and was withdrawn from service in November 1935.<br /> <br /> 14689 was an ex-HR 'Castle Class' 4-6-0 locomotive (formerly HR 28). Built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913 it continued in service until September 1944.<br /> <br /> Wick station was opened on 28 July 1874 as the terminus of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway which was operated, and later absorbed by, the Highland Railway. It is still served by regular services.