Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Teaching in a Side-School in Sutherland (3)
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CAITHNESS_CROFTING_61
PLACENAME
Loch Shin
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Creich
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Isa Sutherland
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
2808
KEYWORDS
audios
side schools
corrugated iron

Get Adobe Flash player

In this audio extract Isa Sutherland describes her life as a side-school teacher in the sparsely populated hill country around Loch Shin, Sutherland.

(full transcription to follow soon)

Side schools were found in the more remote, rural parts of the Highlands where some families, usually those of shepherds or gamekeepers, lived very far from villages in a time when transport was poor. Side-school teachers had to live with the families to provide children with their formal education.

Side schools were first set up in the 1880s. There were seven in the Lairg area. Two side schools existed in Ross and Cromarty in 1955 - at Ardindrean and Badrallach, in the parish of Lochbroom - but there had been five more. Improved transport after the Second World War enabled children in some areas now to be driven considerable distances to school. There were also side schools at Corriemore, in Glenshel parish, and at Skigersta, in Barvas, on the Isle of Lewis.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Teaching in a Side-School in Sutherland (3)

SUTHERLAND: Creich

1980s

audios; side schools; corrugated iron

Highland Libraries

Caithness Recordings: Schools

In this audio extract Isa Sutherland describes her life as a side-school teacher in the sparsely populated hill country around Loch Shin, Sutherland.<br /> <br /> (full transcription to follow soon)<br /> <br /> Side schools were found in the more remote, rural parts of the Highlands where some families, usually those of shepherds or gamekeepers, lived very far from villages in a time when transport was poor. Side-school teachers had to live with the families to provide children with their formal education. <br /> <br /> Side schools were first set up in the 1880s. There were seven in the Lairg area. Two side schools existed in Ross and Cromarty in 1955 - at Ardindrean and Badrallach, in the parish of Lochbroom - but there had been five more. Improved transport after the Second World War enabled children in some areas now to be driven considerable distances to school. There were also side schools at Corriemore, in Glenshel parish, and at Skigersta, in Barvas, on the Isle of Lewis.