Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14420 'Ben a'Chait' piloting a 4-4-0 through Muir of Ord, May 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_055
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
20 May 1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28111
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
LMS 14420 'Ben a'Chait' piloting a 4-4-0 through Muir of Ord, May 1928

LMS 14420 'Ben a'Chait' piloting a 4-4-0 through Muir of Ord in May 1928. 14277, a Skye Bogie, can be seen in the bay.

14420 (formerly HR 65) was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to now as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. It continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14420 'Ben a'Chait' piloting a 4-4-0 through Muir of Ord, May 1928

ROSS: Urray

1920s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

LMS 14420 'Ben a'Chait' piloting a 4-4-0 through Muir of Ord in May 1928. 14277, a Skye Bogie, can be seen in the bay.<br /> <br /> 14420 (formerly HR 65) was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to now as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. It continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.