Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 65 'Ben a'Chait' near Blair Atholl on the Inverness to Perth Mail Train, August 1912
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_058
PLACENAME
Blair Atholl
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
2 August 1912
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28114
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
HR 65 'Ben a'Chait' near Blair Atholl on the Inverness to Perth Mail Train, August 1912

HR 65 'Ben a'Chait' crossing the River Tilt near Blair Atholl on the Inverness to Perth Mail Train in August 1912. An 'Engine Following' sign is displayed on the front of the locomotive.

HR 65 was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. After the grouping it became LMS 14420 and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 65 'Ben a'Chait' near Blair Atholl on the Inverness to Perth Mail Train, August 1912

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1910s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 1 (1855-1922)

HR 65 'Ben a'Chait' crossing the River Tilt near Blair Atholl on the Inverness to Perth Mail Train in August 1912. An 'Engine Following' sign is displayed on the front of the locomotive.<br /> <br /> HR 65 was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. After the grouping it became LMS 14420 and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.