Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 63 'Ben Mheadhouin' on train near Brora, January 1924
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_065
PLACENAME
Brora
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Clyne
DATE OF IMAGE
January 1924
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28120
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
HR 63 'Ben Mheadhouin' on train near Brora, January 1924

HR 63 'Ben Mheadhouin' on train near Brora in January 1924. A small snow plough is fitted to the front of the locomotive. The service is the 6.30am from Inverness to Wick.

HR 63 was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. After the grouping it became LMS 14418 and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 63 'Ben Mheadhouin' on train near Brora, January 1924

SUTHERLAND: Clyne

1920s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

HR 63 'Ben Mheadhouin' on train near Brora in January 1924. A small snow plough is fitted to the front of the locomotive. The service is the 6.30am from Inverness to Wick.<br /> <br /> HR 63 was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. After the grouping it became LMS 14418 and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1932.