Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14761 and 14678 'Gordon Castle' on train passing Killiecrankie, July 1932
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_079
PLACENAME
Killiecrankie
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
6 July 1932
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28130
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
LMS 14761 and 14678 'Gordon Castle' on train passing Killiecrankie, July 1932

LMS 14761 and 14678 'Gordon Castle' on train passing Killiecrankie in July 1932. The service is the 3.40pm from Perth.

14761 was a member of the Highland Railway's 'River' class of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1916 and would have been numbered HR 75 but it soon became apparent that these locomotives were too heavy for most of the bridges and track on the Highland's network. They were sold to the Caledonian Railway and this locomotive became CR 943. After the grouping the LMS did strengthen the mainline between Perth and Inverness and so the 'Rivers' did see work on Highland rails. 14761 was withdrawn from service in November 1939.

14678 (formerly HR 143) was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. It continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14761 and 14678 'Gordon Castle' on train passing Killiecrankie, July 1932

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1930s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

LMS 14761 and 14678 'Gordon Castle' on train passing Killiecrankie in July 1932. The service is the 3.40pm from Perth.<br /> <br /> 14761 was a member of the Highland Railway's 'River' class of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1916 and would have been numbered HR 75 but it soon became apparent that these locomotives were too heavy for most of the bridges and track on the Highland's network. They were sold to the Caledonian Railway and this locomotive became CR 943. After the grouping the LMS did strengthen the mainline between Perth and Inverness and so the 'Rivers' did see work on Highland rails. 14761 was withdrawn from service in November 1939.<br /> <br /> 14678 (formerly HR 143) was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. It continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.