Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two HR locos (a Loch leading a Clan) on train at an unidentified location
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_199
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28233
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
Two HR locos (a Loch leading a Clan) on train at an unidentified location

Two HR locos (a Loch leading a Clan) on a passenger train at an unidentified location.

The lead engine is a member of the Highland Railway's 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways (ex-HR 55 and LMS 14767 'Clan Mackinnon').

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two HR locos (a Loch leading a Clan) on train at an unidentified location

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 1 (1855-1922)

Two HR locos (a Loch leading a Clan) on a passenger train at an unidentified location.<br /> <br /> The lead engine is a member of the Highland Railway's 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways (ex-HR 55 and LMS 14767 'Clan Mackinnon').