Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 103 and 'Gordon Highlander' double-heading a train at Pinmore, April 1963
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_211
PLACENAME
Pinmore, Ayrshire
DATE OF IMAGE
15 April 1963
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28243
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
HR 103 and 'Gordon Highlander' double-heading a train at Pinmore, April 1963

HR 103 and 'Gordon Highlander' double-heading a train at New Luce in April 1963. The service departed from Stranraer. Pinmore is a village in south Ayrshire.

103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

'Gordon Highlander' was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 103 and 'Gordon Highlander' double-heading a train at Pinmore, April 1963

1960s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

HR 103 and 'Gordon Highlander' double-heading a train at New Luce in April 1963. The service departed from Stranraer. Pinmore is a village in south Ayrshire.<br /> <br /> 103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /> <br /> 'Gordon Highlander' was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.