Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two HR locomotives (a Castle and a River) on train at Perth, 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_306
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28317
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
Two HR locomotives (a Castle and a River) on train at Perth, 1928

Two HR locomotives (a Castle leading a River) on a northbound train at Perth, 1928.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

Six 4-6-0 'River' class locomotives were ordered by the Highland Railway from Hawthorn Leslie. The first two (70 'River Ness' and 71 'River Tay') were delivered in September 1915 but it became immediately apparent that they were too heavy for the bridges and much of the track of the Highland Railway. These and the remaining four engines were sold to the Caledonian Railway where they were numbered 938 to 943. After 1923, the LMS strengthened the mainline between Inverness and Perth and so the locos did eventually work on Highland rails. The debacle surrounding the 'River'class caused the resignation of Frederick Smith as Chief Mechanical Engineer. He had held the post since 1912.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two HR locomotives (a Castle and a River) on train at Perth, 1928

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1920s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

Two HR locomotives (a Castle leading a River) on a northbound train at Perth, 1928.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> Six 4-6-0 'River' class locomotives were ordered by the Highland Railway from Hawthorn Leslie. The first two (70 'River Ness' and 71 'River Tay') were delivered in September 1915 but it became immediately apparent that they were too heavy for the bridges and much of the track of the Highland Railway. These and the remaining four engines were sold to the Caledonian Railway where they were numbered 938 to 943. After 1923, the LMS strengthened the mainline between Inverness and Perth and so the locos did eventually work on Highland rails. The debacle surrounding the 'River'class caused the resignation of Frederick Smith as Chief Mechanical Engineer. He had held the post since 1912.