Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach' leading an ex-HR Castle class loco at Inverness, 1920
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_307
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1920
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28318
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach' leading an ex-HR Castle class loco at Inverness, 1920

LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach' leading an ex-HR Castle class loco at Inverness in 1920. The service is a southbound mail train.

14417 (formerly HR 61) was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1936.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach' leading an ex-HR Castle class loco at Inverness, 1920

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 1 (1855-1922)

LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach' leading an ex-HR Castle class loco at Inverness in 1920. The service is a southbound mail train.<br /> <br /> 14417 (formerly HR 61) was part of the Highland Railway's 'Big Ben' class of 4-4-0 locomotives. These were very similar in design to the previous 'Ben' class but had larger boilers, hence their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. It was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and delivered in May 1908. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1936.