Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
An unidentified ex-HR 'Loch' class loco leading a Class 5 near Kinbrace, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_320
PLACENAME
Kinbrace
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
DATE OF IMAGE
20 September 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28331
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
An unidentified ex-HR 'Loch' class loco leading a Class 5 near Kinbrace, 1949

An unidentified ex-Highland Railway 'Loch' class locomotive leading a Class 5 on a down train between Kinbrace and Forsinard in September 1949.

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

The Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

An unidentified ex-HR 'Loch' class loco leading a Class 5 near Kinbrace, 1949

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

1940s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

An unidentified ex-Highland Railway 'Loch' class locomotive leading a Class 5 on a down train between Kinbrace and Forsinard in September 1949.<br /> <br /> The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> The Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.