Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
54473 and another Class 5 on a southbound train at Inverness, August 1955
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_337
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1955
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28347
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
54473 and another Class 5 on a southbound train at Inverness, August 1955

54473 and a Class 5 on a southbound train at Inverness in August 1955.

54473, a 4-4-0 steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1916 to a design by William Pickersgill. It was numbered CR 934. After the grouping it became LMS 14473. At the time of nationalisation in 1948 it was based at Forres shed. It was withdrawn from service in October 1959 and disposed of in February 1960.

The Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

54473 and another Class 5 on a southbound train at Inverness, August 1955

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

54473 and a Class 5 on a southbound train at Inverness in August 1955.<br /> <br /> 54473, a 4-4-0 steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1916 to a design by William Pickersgill. It was numbered CR 934. After the grouping it became LMS 14473. At the time of nationalisation in 1948 it was based at Forres shed. It was withdrawn from service in October 1959 and disposed of in February 1960.<br /> <br /> The Class 5 locomotives were designed by William Stanier. Commonly known as 'Black Fives', 842 were built between 1934 and 1951.