Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14756 on a southbound train at Aviemore, 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_340
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28350
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
LMS 14756 on a southbound train at Aviemore, 1928

LMS 14756 on a southbound train at Aviemore in 1928.

14756 was a member of the Highland Railway's 'River' class of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1915 and numbered HR 70. It soon became apparent that these locomotives were too heavy for most of the bridges and track on the Highland's network and they were sold to the Caledonian Railway. This locomotive became CR 938. After the grouping the LMS did strengthen the mainline between Perth and Inverness and so the 'Rivers' did see work on Highland rails. 14756 was withdrawn from service in November 1939.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14756 on a southbound train at Aviemore, 1928

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1920s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

LMS 14756 on a southbound train at Aviemore in 1928.<br /> <br /> 14756 was a member of the Highland Railway's 'River' class of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1915 and numbered HR 70. It soon became apparent that these locomotives were too heavy for most of the bridges and track on the Highland's network and they were sold to the Caledonian Railway. This locomotive became CR 938. After the grouping the LMS did strengthen the mainline between Perth and Inverness and so the 'Rivers' did see work on Highland rails. 14756 was withdrawn from service in November 1939.