Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
An unidentified ex-HR 'Castle' class loco leaving Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_352
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28361
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
An unidentified ex-HR 'Castle' class loco leaving Inverness

An unidentified ex-Highland Railway 'Castle' class locomotive leaving Inverness on a southbound train.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

An unidentified ex-HR 'Castle' class loco leaving Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

An unidentified ex-Highland Railway 'Castle' class locomotive leaving Inverness on a southbound train.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.