Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
55160 and 56299 at Inverness, September 1954
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_001_414
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
September 1954
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28416
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
55160 and 56299 at Inverness, September 1954

55160 and 56299 at Inverness in September 1954.

55160, an 0-4-4T steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1900 to a design by John F. McIntosh. It was numbered CR 440. After the grouping it became LMS 15160. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Forfar shed. It was withdrawn from service in May 1961 and disposed of in January 1962. It was withdrawn from service in October 1958 and is believed to have been disposed of later that year.

56299, an 0-6-0T steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1904, also to a design by John F. McIntosh. It was numbered CR 645. After the grouping it became LMS 16299. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Inverness shed. It was withdrawn from service in February 1957 and was disposed of the following month.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

55160 and 56299 at Inverness, September 1954

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

55160 and 56299 at Inverness in September 1954.<br /> <br /> 55160, an 0-4-4T steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1900 to a design by John F. McIntosh. It was numbered CR 440. After the grouping it became LMS 15160. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Forfar shed. It was withdrawn from service in May 1961 and disposed of in January 1962. It was withdrawn from service in October 1958 and is believed to have been disposed of later that year. <br /> <br /> 56299, an 0-6-0T steam locomotive, was built for the Caledonian Railway in 1904, also to a design by John F. McIntosh. It was numbered CR 645. After the grouping it became LMS 16299. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Inverness shed. It was withdrawn from service in February 1957 and was disposed of the following month.