Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Three locomotives and their crews at Perth, ready to work the Royal Train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_003_486
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28484
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
Three locomotives and their crews at Perth, ready to work the Royal Train

Three locomotives and their crews at Perth, ready to work the Royal Train. From left to right - HR 149 'Duncraig Castle', HR 13? (a Loch class loco) and HR 141 'Ballindalloch Castle'. No. 141 is decorated with a large Royal Train headboard whilst the Loch has a "Royal Train Pilot" board. It is possible that these are the locomotives which pulled the Royal Train during the visit of Edward VII in 1905.

HR 149 was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. After the grouping it became LMS 14684 and continued in service until being withdrawn in January 1940.

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

HR 141 was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. After the grouping it became LMS 14676 and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1937.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Three locomotives and their crews at Perth, ready to work the Royal Train

PERTH

1900s; 1910s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 1 (1855-1922)

Three locomotives and their crews at Perth, ready to work the Royal Train. From left to right - HR 149 'Duncraig Castle', HR 13? (a Loch class loco) and HR 141 'Ballindalloch Castle'. No. 141 is decorated with a large Royal Train headboard whilst the Loch has a "Royal Train Pilot" board. It is possible that these are the locomotives which pulled the Royal Train during the visit of Edward VII in 1905.<br /> <br /> HR 149 was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. After the grouping it became LMS 14684 and continued in service until being withdrawn in January 1940.<br /> <br /> The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> HR 141 was part of the first batch of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 express passenger locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond. It was built by Dübs of Glasgow and delivered in June 1900. After the grouping it became LMS 14676 and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1937.