Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Southern Railway No. 2358 on train at Dingwall, July 1941
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_003_515
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
5 July 1941
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28509
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
Southern Railway No. 2358 on train at Dingwall, July 1941

Southern Railway locomotive No. 2358 on train at Dingwall in July 1941.

It is an example of a D1 type tank locomotive built by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway in November 1886 as number 358 and originally named "Henfield" - the LBSCR named many of its engines after places on its routes. In 1923 the LBSCR became part of the Southern Railway which renumbered the engine 2358. During World War II, seven D1 engines were loaned to the London Midland & Scottish Railway which used most of them in various places in Scotland. 2358 was sent to Dingwall, where it was photographed and it worked the trains from there to Strathpeffer. It was returned to the south of England in 1944 and scrapped four years later.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Southern Railway No. 2358 on train at Dingwall, July 1941

ROSS: Dingwall

1940s

locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 2 (1923-1947)

Southern Railway locomotive No. 2358 on train at Dingwall in July 1941. <br /> <br /> It is an example of a D1 type tank locomotive built by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway in November 1886 as number 358 and originally named "Henfield" - the LBSCR named many of its engines after places on its routes. In 1923 the LBSCR became part of the Southern Railway which renumbered the engine 2358. During World War II, seven D1 engines were loaned to the London Midland & Scottish Railway which used most of them in various places in Scotland. 2358 was sent to Dingwall, where it was photographed and it worked the trains from there to Strathpeffer. It was returned to the south of England in 1944 and scrapped four years later.