Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Preserved Caledonian Railway No. 828 at Boat of Garten, August 1995
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_003_537
PLACENAME
Boat of Garten
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1995
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28525
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
Preserved Caledonian Railway No. 828 at Boat of Garten, August 1995

Preserved Caledonian Railway locomotive No. 828 at Boat of Garten in August 1995.

This locomotive is the sole surviving member of the Caledonian Railway's 812 Class which were designed by John F McIntosh. Members of this class were built to work on express goods trains, excursion traffic and fast boat trains.

828 was built at the St Rollox Works in Glasgow and delivered in August 1899. After the grouping it became LMS 17566 and was fitted with a new boiler and smokebox. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Corkerhill shed and it continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1963. Shortly after it was purchased by the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Fund for the scrap value of £900. At the time of writing (2011) the locomotive can be seen working on the Strathspey Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Preserved Caledonian Railway No. 828 at Boat of Garten, August 1995

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1990s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

Preserved Caledonian Railway locomotive No. 828 at Boat of Garten in August 1995.<br /> <br /> This locomotive is the sole surviving member of the Caledonian Railway's 812 Class which were designed by John F McIntosh. Members of this class were built to work on express goods trains, excursion traffic and fast boat trains.<br /> <br /> 828 was built at the St Rollox Works in Glasgow and delivered in August 1899. After the grouping it became LMS 17566 and was fitted with a new boiler and smokebox. At the time of nationalisation it was based at Corkerhill shed and it continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1963. Shortly after it was purchased by the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Fund for the scrap value of £900. At the time of writing (2011) the locomotive can be seen working on the Strathspey Railway.