Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Dunrobin' with a six-wheeled coach at an unidentified location
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_003_543
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28530
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
'Dunrobin' with a six-wheeled coach at an unidentified location

'Dunrobin' with a six-wheeled coach at an unidentified location.

'Dunrobin' was an 0-4-4 tank engine built for the 4th Duke of Sutherland by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1895. It was used to haul the Duke's train between Dunrobin Castle and Inverness. The Duke also owned two coaches, a four-wheel saloon and a bogie saloon. Despite never being owned by the Highland Railway the locomotive has become synonymous with the line.

British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both coaches were sold. The loco and the four-wheeled saloon were sold to Captain Howey and displayed as static exhibits at New Romney on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. Their next owner took them to Canada where they remained until 2011 when they were bought by Beamish Museum, in County Durham. At the time of writing (June 2011) the museum intends to restore 'Dunrobin' to working order.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Dunrobin' with a six-wheeled coach at an unidentified location

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 4 (miscellaneous)

'Dunrobin' with a six-wheeled coach at an unidentified location.<br /> <br /> 'Dunrobin' was an 0-4-4 tank engine built for the 4th Duke of Sutherland by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1895. It was used to haul the Duke's train between Dunrobin Castle and Inverness. The Duke also owned two coaches, a four-wheel saloon and a bogie saloon. Despite never being owned by the Highland Railway the locomotive has become synonymous with the line.<br /> <br /> British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both coaches were sold. The loco and the four-wheeled saloon were sold to Captain Howey and displayed as static exhibits at New Romney on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. Their next owner took them to Canada where they remained until 2011 when they were bought by Beamish Museum, in County Durham. At the time of writing (June 2011) the museum intends to restore 'Dunrobin' to working order.