Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Gordon Highlander' and HR 103 on train at Kelvin Hall, September 1959
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_003_622
PLACENAME
Glasgow
DATE OF IMAGE
7 September 1959
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28594
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
'Gordon Highlander' and HR 103 on train at Kelvin Hall, September 1959

'Gordon Highlander' and HR 103 on train at Kelvin Hall, in the Partick area of Glasgow, in September 1959.

The locomotive was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.

103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

Until 15 June 1959 Kelvin Hall station had been known as Partick Central.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Gordon Highlander' and HR 103 on train at Kelvin Hall, September 1959

1950s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

'Gordon Highlander' and HR 103 on train at Kelvin Hall, in the Partick area of Glasgow, in September 1959. <br /> <br /> The locomotive was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum. <br /> <br /> 103 was the first member of the Highland Railway's 'Big Goods Class' of 4-6-0 locomotive. It was built in 1894. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /> <br /> Until 15 June 1959 Kelvin Hall station had been known as Partick Central.