Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Dunrobin' and LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale, March 1950
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_TRAINS_004_660
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
DATE OF IMAGE
March 1950
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
28631
KEYWORDS
locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
trains
'Dunrobin' and LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky'  at Helmsdale, March 1950

'Dunrobin' and LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale in March 1950. The goods shed can be seen behind the locomotives with the turntable in the foreground.

'Dunrobin' was an 0-4-4 tank engine built for the 4th Duke of Sutherland by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1895. It was used to haul the Duke's train between Dunrobin Castle and Inverness. The Duke also owned two coaches, a four-wheel saloon and a bogie saloon. Despite never being owned by the Highland Railway the locomotive has become synonymous with the line.

British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both coaches were sold. The loco and the four-wheeled saloon were sold to Captain Howey and displayed as static exhibits at New Romney on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. Their next owner took them to Canada where they remained until 2011 when they were bought by Beamish Museum, in County Durham. At the time of writing (June 2011) the museum intends to restore 'Dunrobin' to working order."

14409 (formerly HR 13) was built at the Highland Railway's own Lochgorm works at Inverness in 1900. It was a member of the class of locomotive now known collectively as the 'Small Bens'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1950.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Dunrobin' and LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale, March 1950

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

1950s

locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Trains 3 (1948 to the present day)

'Dunrobin' and LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale in March 1950. The goods shed can be seen behind the locomotives with the turntable in the foreground.<br /> <br /> 'Dunrobin' was an 0-4-4 tank engine built for the 4th Duke of Sutherland by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1895. It was used to haul the Duke's train between Dunrobin Castle and Inverness. The Duke also owned two coaches, a four-wheel saloon and a bogie saloon. Despite never being owned by the Highland Railway the locomotive has become synonymous with the line.<br /> <br /> British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both coaches were sold. The loco and the four-wheeled saloon were sold to Captain Howey and displayed as static exhibits at New Romney on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. Their next owner took them to Canada where they remained until 2011 when they were bought by Beamish Museum, in County Durham. At the time of writing (June 2011) the museum intends to restore 'Dunrobin' to working order."<br /> <br /> 14409 (formerly HR 13) was built at the Highland Railway's own Lochgorm works at Inverness in 1900. It was a member of the class of locomotive now known collectively as the 'Small Bens'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1950.